The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this by recruiting motivated, mission driven volunteers who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank (CTFB) is looking for Intake Volunteers for our Senior Food Box Programs at the following distribution sites each month. You are welcome to sign up to work at just one location, or more than one location if you are interested.
|Parker Lane - S. Austin
2105 Parker Ln, Austin, TX 78704
|August 24 and September 28
10 a.m. - 12: 30 p.m.
|Gus Garcia Recreation Center
1201 E Rundberg Ln, Austin, TX 78753
|Every 4th Thursday
9 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Vietnamese speaking and comprehension required
Supervised by the Food Bank’s Programs Coordinator, Intake Volunteers will help administer our CSFP Senior Food Box Program, which provides free food to people over the age of 60. Intake Volunteers will help by signing in clients, helping them complete intake forms, and loading food into their vehicles.
Before becoming an Intake Volunteer, you will:
- Work with a member of our Volunteer Engagement team who will answer any questions you have about the position and get information about your skills, schedule and availability
- Attend orientation and training, including Civil Rights Training (2 hours total)
- Learn from our Volunteer Engagement team how to use our VolunteerHub software to view volunteer schedules and sign up for shifts
- Provide direct assistance to clients of varying backgrounds
- Model a client-centered, compassionate, non-judgmental approach
We are looking for volunteers who will be able to meet these requirements:
- Comfortable speaking directly with clients and helping with intake
- Maintain professional boundaries with clients and staff
- Able to lift 30 lbs. to assist with loading food boxes into vehicles
- Able to walk/be on your feet for the duration of the distribution
- Able to work outside in all different types of weather – distributions are currently taking place outdoors
- Volunteers must follow our volunteer agreement and code of conduct
- Volunteers must wear masks and socially distance from staff, clients and other volunteers
- Volunteers must meet pandemic health and safety requirements
You are a great candidate if you are:
- Comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds
- A great communicator
- Passionate about helping others
- Flexible and adaptable to change
To apply, please email the Food Bank’s Volunteer Engagement team at email@example.com and let us know what site(s) you are interested in volunteering at.