The Future is F.R.E.S.H
The Central Texas Food Bank (CTFB) serves as the region’s leader in ensuring our neighbors have equitable access to healthy food while also leveraging and bolstering the food system to build sustainable and thriving communities. Our programs and organizational priorities reflect the diverse people, assets and economic drivers represented across our 21-county service area. The CTFB advocacy agenda focuses on ways in which we can maximize impact for our client neighbors, our partners and the stakeholders that shape the food system. We will pursue a policy agenda that is responsive to a rapidly-changing food system infrastructure, including:
- Increasing access to healthy FOOD and supporting innovative ways of procuring and distributing
- Applying RESEARCH and best practices to proposed policy solutions and investments
- Driving ECONOMIC stability for families through workforce training and programming
- Supporting SUSTAINABLE food system practices that ensure the long-term viability of equitable food access for all Central Texans
- Improving HEALTH outcomes for our neighbors
Through this lens, the Food Bank provides leadership on policies, legislation and community investments that address the root causes of hunger and poverty, and improve the lives of Central Texans.
FY 2023 federal advocacy efforts will focus on strengthening programs administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ensure that both food banks and those we serve receive support through funding and legislation.
- Support the passage of a strong Farm Bill that enhances nutrition programs and mitigates regulatory burdens for those seeking assistance
- Ensure The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) receives robust funding to support food banks during times of supply chain disruptions and inflation
- Encourage Congress to pass meaningful legislation to improve and expand child nutrition programs, ensuring broad access to nutritious meals for children in urban and rural communities
- Advocate for policies that fully fund and strengthen the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the nation’s largest hunger-relief program
- Increase support for veterans and military families to eliminate food insecurity among those who serve and have served our country
- Increase funding for the Surplus Agricultural Products Grant to support Texas farmers and strengthen their connection to food banks across the state while providing fresh produce to those we serve
- Encourage the Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas Health & Human Services Commission to adopt strategic administrative and eligibility policies that improve access to nutrition programs
- Support legislation that strengthens workforce development and job skills training in sectors that impact the food system such as culinary education, farming, warehousing and logistics.
- Support legislation that enhances access to healthy, nutritious food focused on: updating the SNAP Vehicle Asset Test, improving SNAP eligibility for adult learners enrolled in secondary and technical education courses and assisting those exiting the criminal justice system in accessing support in re-entry
Using data, elevating neighbor voices, convening stakeholders, and implementing innovative programs, CTFB will focus locally on:
- Educating local officials about ways the Food Bank impacts communities across our service area.
- Advancing public/private partnerships that enable innovative food procurement and distribution methods.
- Building strategic partnerships with stakeholders and partners in our region to enhance Food is Medicine initiatives that improve health outcomes.
- Developing collaborative workforce training and job skills programming that address the root causes of hunger.
- Working with rural communities to identify innovative and community-building solutions for food access challenges.
How You Can Get Involved
Ways the Community can Support our Advocacy Efforts:
- Find your Elected Officials- https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
- Feeding America resources - https://www.feedingamerica.org/take-action/advocate
- Feeding Texas Resources - https://www.feedingtexas.org/solutions/public-policy-advocacy/
See Us In Action
We work closely with our elected officials at all levels of government to educate them about hunger in Central Texas, and advocate for positive solutions to address it. Click here to check out who’s visited the food bank.