2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon each oregano & basil, dried
½ teaspoon each thyme & rosemary, dried
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Black Pepper to taste
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 small yellow onion
1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
1 can chunk light tuna, drained
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
½ pound frozen, chopped spinach
2 cups water or broth of choice (or add bouillon to water)
- Place spinach in a bowl to thaw. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, red pepper, and some black pepper. Sauté for one minute.
- Add spaghetti sauce and brown sugar and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the water/broth, stir to combine, then add the uncooked rice and cover with lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans and drain the tuna.
- Add the beans, spinach, and tuna. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Fluff the contents with a fork. Serve immediately.
Enjoy this recipe served up in a bowl with a side salad and refreshing unsweet iced tea for a hearty lunch or dinner.
Consider placing the entire pot or skillet on a pot warmer in the center of your table to enjoy family style with others!
Recipe contents may also be made into a unique and tasty taco for an on the go meal.