Help with Food Stamps

What Is SNAP?

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly called food stamps, is a federal program that provides extra money for groceries each month for qualified households. SNAP benefits are deposited onto an EBT card that can be used at most grocery stores and farmers markets.

SNAP table

Income guidelines are valid through September 30, 2023. HHSC determines eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

Need help completing a new or renewal SNAP application? We can also help you apply for other government benefits including Medicaid, CHIP, TANF, Healthy Texas Women, and Medicare Savings Program.

  • Call our Help Line Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 1-855-366-3401
  • Email us at
  • Fill out our interest form in English or Spanish.

Visit the Your Texas Benefits website to create a secure account and complete your application. You can also make changes to an existing account.

  • Proof of identity (for everyone in the household)
  • Proof of income
  • Bank statements (two months)
  • Documents for immigration status
  • Rent or mortgage information
  • Medical costs
  • Dependent care expenses
  • Child support payments

Call 1-800-777-7328 to request a replacement.

Call 2-1-1 or access your account through the Your Texas Benefits portal.

Did you know you can receive things like diapers, and more? Call 2-1-1 or visit Enter your ZIP code in the box below and search for free and reduced-cost services like medical, food, housing and more in your area.

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
Alexandria, VA 22314; or

(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.