1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
¾ cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon salt
1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into ½ by ½ by 2-inch batons
1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin on bias
2 (3-inch) strips lemon zest
- Before you begin, peel turnips thoroughly to remove not only the tough outer skin but also the fibrous layer of flesh just beneath.
- Toast coriander seeds and mustard seeds in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar, pepper flakes, and salt and bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add turnips, onion, carrots, and lemon zest, pressing to submerge vegetables.
- Cover and let cool completely, 30 minutes. (Cooled vegetables can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
America’s Test Kitchen
Recipe modified by CHOICES Nutrition Education Program
Download the Recipe/Descargue la receta:
Download Turnips and Carrots Quick Pickle_0.pdf (672.79 KB)