1 tbsp. of olive oil
3 cups of onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons, chopped cilantro
2 cups of vegetable broth, low sodium
(3) 15oz cans of black beans, low sodium
1 sprig of fresh epazote
½ a pound of amaranth greens, stems discarded
*If using dried beans, rinse beans and soak them in water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain off the water you used to soak the beans and add cold water back to them. Use a ratio of 1:3, so if you have 2 cups of beans, use 6 cups of water. Bring the beans to a boil and then reduce them down to a very slow simmer for 1-1 ½ hours. Now your beans are ready to use in any way you see fit. One 15-oz can of beans equals 1 ½ cups cooked beans.
- Heat a 5 quart pot oven to medium high heat and add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add cilantro and cook for another minute.
- Stir in black beans and vegetable broth. Add the sprig of Epazote and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- While beans are simmering, wash the amaranth leaves in two changes of water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and fill another bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add the amaranth. Blanch for two minutes, and transfer to the ice water. Drain, and squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely.
- Once the beans are simmering, stir in the amaranth, simmer very gently for 5-10 minutes, and serve.
Recipe modified by CHOICES Nutrition Education Program
Download the Recipe/Descargue la receta:
Download Amaranth and Black Beans_0.pdf (302.26 KB)