The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger.” We are accomplishing this by recruiting motivated, mission driven volunteers.
The Central Texas Food Bank (CTFB) is looking for volunteers for our onsite food pantry who can provide one-on-one, direct assistance to clients receiving “Food for Tomorrow”. The pantry is a client-choice, market-style pantry, and a focus of the pantry experience is on healthy eating and nutritious options. The core component of this position is creating a welcoming environment for our neighbors shopping the pantry. This position reports to the Pantries Manager for day-to-day operations and in-the-moment questions. Volunteers will also work with and support the Benefits and Emergency Services team by providing pantry assistance after their appointments with clients.
This volunteer position is available 8:30-12pm or 1-4:30pm Monday through Friday, and it takes place at the Central Texas Food Bank, 6500 Metropolis Drive, Austin, TX 78744. We are seeking Spanish-speaking volunteers ages 18 and up who can make a commitment to one 3.5-hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months.
As an On-Site Pantry Volunteer, you will:
- Interact with clients in a professional, respectful, and helpful manner, demonstrating a commitment to improving the lives of those we serve in a dignified environment
- Explain the pantry experience and set expectations around the services they are eligible for during the visit
- Assist clients as they shop the pantry– carry bags, reach food, highlight nutritious food options or healthy pairings to clients transport to vehicle, etc.
- Provide food assistance referral information, as needed
- Use our online database to check client eligibility during the visit and document the services provided at the end of the visit
- Use language translation aids to communicate with clients, as needed
- Restock pantry inventory throughout the shift
- Complete opening/closing checklists at the beginning/end of the shift. For example: complete temperature logs, secure laptop for overnight storage
- Complete additional administration tasks, as need and time allows
You are a great candidate if you are:
- Bilingual English/Spanish proficiency strongly preferred
- Comfortable speaking directly and respectfully with clients and have a strong customer service orientation
- Able to maintain professional boundaries with clients and staff, demonstrate good judgement, and model a client-centered, compassionate, non-judgmental approach
- Experienced in working with people from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic and religious backgrounds
- Comfortable working independently and are flexible and adaptable to change
- Proficient in working with a variety of computer applications and electronic devices
- Able to lift 30 lbs. to assist with restocking the pantry as needed and able to walk/be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Bonus points if you have: community nutrition knowledge, knowledge of Central Texas and its network of services for low-income families, or previous volunteer experience with the Central Texas Food Bank or other food pantry.
This position remains in the pantry. The pantry has concrete floors, staff passing through, and noise from hallway traffic and cooling units. There will be extended periods of standing and/or bending; listening, talking and/or visual concentration; computer use. This position requires working independently and with CTFB staff.
Before becoming an On-Site Pantry Volunteer, you will:
- Participate in an in-person volunteer training (1 hour). Training may coincide with your first shift.
- Complete Civil Rights Training (1 hour). This training is online and completed on your own.
- Complete a client database (Oasis) training (30 minutes). This training is online and completed on your own.
- Complete software user confidentiality online training and quiz (5 minutes). This training is online and completed on your own.
- Sign a Client User Confidentiality Form
Note for students: CTFB can work with your program’s supervision requirements.
To apply, please email email@example.com and mention the On-Site Pantry volunteer role.