The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programing and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a dynamic SUMMER GARDEN EDUCATION VISTA in our Programs Department. The Summer Garden Education VISTA supports the educational initiatives of the CTFB Production and Learning Garden by providing direct gardening education through weekly garden activities for children and adults during the summer. The Summer Garden Education VISTA will guide children through garden activity centers designed to introduce and reinforce key nutrition, health, and gardening information, and assist with class facilitation for adult garden education including weekend and evening classes. In addition, this position will work in the garden with volunteers to grow food and care for plants. Day – to – day activities will include setting up for and cleaning up after garden tours and workshops, working with volunteers and/or other staff to facilitate the education stations, working with the Garden Manager and Garden Educator to ensure all necessary materials are on hand, recording participant demographics and knowledge outcomes, pulling weeds, spreading mulch, harvesting vegetables, and working in the greenhouse. Approximately 50% of this position consists of working outside in the garden to grow food and care for garden plants. The ideal candidate combines gardening knowledge and experience providing education to diverse audiences.
This is a temporary, 10-week position lasting from June 8 – August 14, 2020.
As a GARDEN EDUCATION VISTA, you will
- Care for fruit and vegetable plants, including:
- Watering, fertilizing, harvesting, planting, weeding, seeding, pest control
- Teaching/ facilitating garden education stations
- Guiding children, volunteers, CTFB Staff, and/or the public in hands on gardening activities
- Talking about garden education opportunities to Partner Agencies and clients in person, in writing and over the phone
- Provides administrative support to garden educational programming, such as recording participant names and information, grading quizzes, and administering surveys
- Other duties as assigned
You are a great candidate if you have
- Have experience growing food in a garden
- Have experience working with elementary age children in an educational setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A strong interest in organic and sustainable gardening
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude while working outside in the Texas summer heat
Bonus points for
- Experience coordinating events
- Formal training in pedagogy
- Experience handling food
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone.