The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programing and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a Product Recovery Material Handler in our Operations Department. The primary responsibilities for this position include loading/unloading product, providing product to the product recovery staff and putting product away during shifts, and maintaining the Product Recovery Room. Requiring dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures, this position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
As a Product Recovery Material Handler, you will be expected to:
- Move product from dry warehouse, freezer, or cooler to product recovery area which may include the operation of a forklift, Jack, Reach truck, and/or other warehouse equipment.
- Operate all equipment in a safe manner.
- Evaluate donated products according to established food safety standards.
- Work a regular shift, Monday-Saturday, 8-5(no more than 5 days and 40 hrs.) Due to COVID, shifts are subject to change.
- Maintain supplies needed for product recovery operations, including boxes, tape, soaps and disinfectants, sponges, labels, etc.
- Keep product recovery work areas clean and organized, remove trash, recycle cardboard, sweep floors and promote overall cleanliness and inspection readiness.
- Keep an accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assess the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding unacceptable product.
- Organizes, sort, and label perishable foods that may require special handling.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Product Recovery Manager.
You are a great candidate if you have
- 2+ years of experience in a commercial warehouse environment required.
- 1+ years’ experience working in a Food Service Industry preferred.
- Experience in warehousing and demonstrated ability to operate warehouse equipment like a reach forklift, or reach truck, lift, electric jacks and rider jacks.
- Experience working with all manner of volunteers.
- Flexibility to work weekdays, evenings and weekend shifts.
- Ability to effectively work with volunteers that have cognitive/physical disabilities.
- Ability to work in various climate conditions (warehouse, freezer, and cooler) for an extended amount of time.
- Experience working with ten key and data entry.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits
- Ability to represent the Food Bank in a professional manner under a variety of conditions
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Bonus points for
- Knowledge with providing effective training and delegation of others.
- Knowledge of warehousing procedures preferred.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects, setting priorities and working independently under aggressive timelines.
- Experience working within a timeline and giving instructions to large groups of volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrating good judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrating the ability to work cooperatively with other Food Bank staff and volunteers.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, and working protracted or irregular hours.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and various types of forklifts and pallets jacks.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.