The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programming and fundraising events but by hiring motivated, mission-driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a dynamic Product Recovery Assistant in our Operations Department. The primary responsibility of this position is to load and unload company vehicles and to provide timely and efficient transportation of food products from donors to the Food Bank and back to our partner agencies. It requires dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures with emphasis on receipt and storage of the incoming product. This position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
As a Product Recovery Assistant, you will be expected to:
- Material handling from the warehouse to the product recovery area.
- Evaluate donated products according to established food safety standards.
- Orient and maintain volunteer groups and projects.
- Oversee volunteers in the sorting, boxing, and preparing food and grocery products for distribution.
- Maintain supplies needed for product recovery operations, including boxes, tape, soaps and disinfectants, sponges, labels, etc.
- Keep product recovery work areas clean and organized, remove trash, recycle cardboard, and promote overall cleanliness and inspection readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Product Recovery Manager or Product Recovery Lead.
- Operates all equipment in a safe manner.
- Effectively work with large numbers of volunteers
- Keeps an accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assesses the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding the unacceptable product.
- Marks and sorts perishable foods that require special handling.
You are a great candidate if you have
- Experience or willing to learn within a timeline in warehousing and demonstrated the ability to operate various types of forklifts and pallets jacks.
- Experience working with all manner of volunteers and the ability to oversee projects.
- Ability to effectively work with volunteers that have cognitive/physical disabilities.
- Ability to work in various climate conditions (warehouse, freezer, and cooler).
- Ten key, data entry, and transactions
Bonus points for
- Knowledge with providing effective training and delegation of others.
- Knowledge of warehousing procedures preferred.
- Knowledge to organize and manage multiple projects, setting priorities and working independently under aggressive timelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability or willingness to learn within a timeline on giving instructions to large groups of volunteers.
- Demonstrates good judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively with other Food Bank staff and volunteers.
- Ability to represent the Food Bank in a professional manner under a variety of conditions.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, and working protracted or irregular hours.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and various types of forklifts and pallets jacks.
- Operates forklifts, jacks, trucks, and other warehouse equipment in a safe manner.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.