The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programming and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission-driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a Product Recovery Assistant in our Operations Department. The primary responsibilities for this position include loading/unloading product, leading a large group of volunteers as they prepare product for distribution to our partner agencies within our 21 country service area, and maintaining the Product Recovery Room. Requiring dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures, this position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
As a Product Recovery Assistant, you will be expected to:
- Material handling from the warehouse to product recovery area which may include the operation of a forklift, jack, truck, and/or other warehouse equipment.
- Evaluate donated products according to established food safety standards.
- Orient, instruct and maintain volunteer groups, large and small, on various projects.
- Oversee volunteers in the sorting, boxing, and preparing food and grocery products for distribution while maintaining high levels of energy.
- Maintain supplies needed for product recovery operations, including boxes, tape, soaps and disinfectants, sponges, labels, etc.
- Keep product recovery work areas clean and organized, remove trash, recycle cardboard, sweep floors and promote overall cleanliness and inspection readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Product Recovery Manager or Product Recovery Lead.
- Operates all equipment in a safe manner.
- Effectively communicate project instruction in a positive manner and work with large numbers of volunteers with a customer service focus.
- Keep an accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assess the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding unacceptable product.
- Organizes, sort, and labels perishable foods that may require special handling.
You are a great candidate if you have
- Experience or willing to learn within a timeline in warehousing and demonstrated an ability to operate various types of forklifts and pallets jacks.
- Experience working with all manner of volunteers and the ability to oversee projects.
- Demonstrated ability to present information and provide instructions to a large group of volunteers.
- Flexibility to work weekdays, evenings and weekend shifts.
- Ability to effectively work with volunteers that have cognitive/physical disabilities.
- Ability to work in various climate conditions (warehouse, freezer, and cooler).
- Experience working with ten key and data entry.
Bonus points for
- Knowledge with providing effective training and delegation of others.
- Knowledge of warehousing procedures preferred.
- Knowledge to organize and manage multiple projects, setting priorities and working independently under aggressive timelines.
- Experience working within a timeline and giving instructions to large groups of volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates good judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively with other Food Bank staff and volunteers.
- Ability to represent the Food Bank in a professional manner under a variety of conditions.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, and working protracted or irregular hours.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and various types of forklifts and pallets jacks.
- Operates forklifts, jacks, trucks, and other warehouse equipment in a safe manner.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.