About Central Texas Food Bank
Looking for a way to make a difference without sacrificing a competitive salary and excellent benefits? Apply to join the Central Texas Food Bank team! We’re looking for highly-motivated people to bring their unique skills to our mission of nourishing our neighbors and leading our community in the fight against hunger. As the region’s largest hunger relief charity, the Food Bank offers a diverse and inclusive workplace, professional development opportunities, and a culture of promoting from within. Our core values, Compassion, Honesty, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork, chart our course.
This position is responsible for food preparation according to program guidelines, orienting and directing volunteers, guiding culinary externs and Dietetic interns for any food preparation, cleaning or other kitchen tasks, and being a good steward of the mission and work we do in the kitchen and Food Bank overall.
Reporting to the Meal Production Manager, this position is highly visible internally and externally and requires manual labor as well as solid relationship management skills.
- Study each recipe and gather all necessary ingredients
- Cook food in a timely manner
- Delegate tasks to kitchen staff and Supervise Cooks and assist as needed
- Slightly modify recipes to meet customers’ needs and requests (e.g. reduce salt, remove dairy)
- Monitor food stock and place orders
- Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
- Experiment with recipes and suggest new ingredients
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area
- Train new kitchen stuff
- Ensure that meals are prepared, portioned, packaged and labeled accurately
- Ensure all kitchen equipment, tools, work tables & environment is maintained in a clean & sanitary state according to Health Standard
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation regulations and safety standard
- Follow procedures for waste management including recycling policies and procedure
- Monitor regular inventory (chemicals, food, etc.) and notify the supervisor when par levels are down and orders need to be replaced
- Ensure all refrigerated equipment is properly logged & monitored reporting any deficiencies to the supervisor
- Assist with closing, washing dishes, collecting garbage/trash, sweeping and mopping the floor
- Assist in the preparation of reports, data gathering, and completion of goals, metrics and deadlines.
- Commit to supporting CTFB’s mission, vision, values, and culture
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Hands-on experience with various kitchen equipment
- 3 year’s food service experience and completion of a Culinary arts program
- Advanced knowledge of culinary, baking and pastry techniques
- Ability to remain calm and undertake various tasks
- Excellent time management abilities
- Up-to-date knowledge of cooking techniques and recipes
- Familiarity with sanitation regulations
- Food Handler required or willing to complete this within 15 days of hire date
- Ability to work effectively with food bank staff, volunteers, and vendors with a commitment and desire to go the extra mile to make the Food Bank kitchen program a benchmark program for food safety, quality, and innovation
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- High volume food production experience
- Child nutrition program experience, CACEP and SFSP
- Leadership experience or experience working with volunteers
- Possession of a current Texas driver’s license with the minimum required liability insurance per Food Bank Policy (preferable, not required)
- Hours of Operation: 7:30 am- 4:30 pm
- Environment: Working in a kitchen and fast paced environment
- Physical labor
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, repetitively lift and carry 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working inside, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, and working protracted or irregular hours.