I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to load and unload company vehicles and to provide timely and efficient transportation of food products from donors to the Food Bank and back to our partner agencies. It requires dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures with emphasis on receipt and storage of the incoming product. This position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Customer service on our distribution dock of pulling and verifying agency orders, and supervise the loading of agency vehicles.
- Receives donations and keeps accurate log entries of all donations.
- Follows procedures pertaining to proper handling of work ticket/inventory documentation.
- Maintain the warehouse in a neat and orderly state.
- Maintain the freezer and cooler in a neat and orderly condition, including frequent trash removal, ensuring access to products
- Help conduct periodic physical inventories, as directed.
- Transports food from donors to the Food Bank and from the Food Bank to agencies- this includes loading, driving, and unloading product.
- Develops good working relationships with store personnel and agency personnel, and immediately notifies Transportation Manager of any potential problems.
- Keeps an accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assesses the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding the unacceptable product.
- Marks and sorts perishable foods that require special handling.
- Maintains the freezers and cooler in a neat and orderly condition.
- Maintains vehicle condition logs and immediately informs Transportation Manager of any problems concerning Food Bank vehicles including accidents, mechanical failure, or need for maintenance.
- Operates forklifts, jacks, trucks, and other warehouse equipment in a safe manner.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
A. Education, Experience, and Training
- 2+ years of experience in a commercial warehouse environment required.
- 1+ years’ experience working in a Food Service industry preferred.
- Experience in warehousing and demonstrated ability to operate all warehouse equipment.
- Possession of a current Texas Class C driver’s license with at least two years route delivery experience and a good driving record for at least three years (requires approval by the insurance company as an approved driver).
- Current, valid Personal Liability Insurance coverage with a minimum of $500,000 required.
- Possession of a current Medical Certificate as required by DOT.
B. Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. In particular, the ability to understand and organize detailed information and possess attention to detail with the ability to solve problems and show initiative
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to deadlines in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential information.
- Coordination – Work closely with Transportation management to keep projects and tasks moving forward.
- Customer service—the individual manages difficult client/customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments. Ability to represent the Food Bank in a courteous and professional manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper ways to lift heavy objects safely.
- Experience in warehousing and demonstrated the ability to operate warehouse equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff, volunteers, agency personnel, and store employees.
III. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry up to 100 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working outside in inclement weather, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by car, van, bus, and airplane.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile.