The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programing and fundraising events, but by hiring motivated, mission driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a dynamic LINE CHEF in our Kitchen Department. This position is responsible for food preparation according to program guidelines, orienting and directing volunteers, guiding culinary externs and Dietetic interns for any food preparation, cleaning or other kitchen tasks, and being a good steward of the mission and work we do in the kitchen and Food Bank overall. Reporting to the Executive Chef, this position is highly visible internally and externally and requires manual labor as well as solid relationship management skills.
As a LINE CHEF, you will:
- Assist with preparing meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack) according to USDA and TDA regulations for CACFP, SFSP and National School Lunch, School Breakfast and After School Snack programs.
- Assist with production of value-added meals according to production plans for meal size and quantity.
- Adhere to planned menu for the purpose of conserving food costs, meeting program guidelines and ensuring high quality meals and food safety.
- Assure that documentation is maintained for meals including production records, label database other information needed for proper documentation.
- Work with the Culinary Trainer to ensure that meals are prepared, portioned, packaged and labeled accurately.
- Ensure all kitchen equipment, tools, work tables and environment is maintained in a clean and sanitary state according to local and state Health Standards using the “clean as you go” policy and that all cleaning is documented.
- Maintain safe and organized work environment.
- Follow procedures for waste management including recycling policies and procedures.
- Monitor regular inventory (chemicals, food, etc.) and notify supervisor when par levels are down and orders need to be placed.
- Ensure all refrigerated equipment is properly logged & monitored reporting any deficiencies to Executive Chef.
- Instruct and engage Culinary Trainees and volunteers when so delegated.
- Assist with preparing Catering Event Meals (as needed) for internal and external events and fundraisers.
You are a great candidate if you have
- 1+ year’s food service experience or completion of a culinary degree program.
- Food Manager’s Certification required, (NRAEF ServSafe or Austin/Travis County recognized program) or willingness to complete this within 15 days of hire date.
- Ability to work effectively with food bank staff, volunteers and vendors with a commitment and desire to go the extra mile to make the Food Bank kitchen program a benchmark program for food safety, quality and innovation.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Bonus points for
- High volume food production experience
- Child nutrition program experience
- Leadership experience or experience working with volunteers
IV. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry under 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working inside, working outside, working in cold and hot environments, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by car, van, bus, and airplane.
- Kitchen equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include 6-burner stove, griddle, grill, fryer, steam-jacketed kettles of varying sizes, combi ovens, blast chillers, tilt skillets, meat slicer, bread slicer, stand mixers, dish machine and general smallwares. Additional items may be added as need arises. Office equipment includes computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile.