The Central Texas Food Bank is working hard to close the hunger gap and we want you to join us! Our mission is “to nourish hungry people and lead the community in the fight against hunger”. We are accomplishing this not only with our amazing programming and fundraising events but by hiring motivated, mission-driven employees who have the drive to end hunger.
The Central Texas Food Bank is looking for a dynamic CDL A Route Delivery Driver in our Operations Department. We are in need of an experienced CDL A Route Delivery Driver. The purpose of this position is to load and unload trucks and to provide timely and efficient transportation of food products from donors to the Food Bank and back to our partner agencies. It requires dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures with emphasis on receipt and storage of the incoming product. This position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
As a CDL A Route Delivery Driver, your responsibilities are but not limited to
- Transports food from donors to the Food Bank and from the Food Bank to agencies it including loading, driving, and unloading.
- Develops good working relationships with store personnel and agency personnel, and immediately notifies the Transportation Manager of any potential problems.
- Keeps accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assesses the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding the unacceptable product.
- Marks and sorts perishable foods that require special handling.
- Maintains the freezers and cooler in a neat and orderly condition.
- Maintains vehicle condition logs and immediately informs the Transportation Manager of any problems concerning Food Bank vehicles including accidents, mechanical failure, or need for maintenance.
- Operates forklifts, jacks, trucks, and other warehouse equipment in a safe manner.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Operations Management Team.
You are a great candidate if you have
- Possession of a current Texas Class A driver’s license with at least 2 years route delivery experience and a good driving record for at least three years (requires approval by an insurance company as an approved driver).
- Possession of a current Medical Certificate as required by DOT.
- Food Service experience preferred.
Bonus points for this position
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. In particular, the ability to understand and organize detailed information and possess attention to detail with the ability to solve problems and show initiative
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to deadlines in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential information.
- Coordination – Work closely with Transportation management to keep projects and tasks moving forward.
- Customer service—the individual manages difficult client/customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments. Ability to represent the Food Bank in a courteous and professional manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper ways to lift heavy objects safely and ability to do so (50 lbs. at a minimum).
- Experience in warehousing and demonstrated the ability to operate warehouse equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff, volunteers, agency personnel, and store employees.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry up to 100 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle, and operate motor equipment.
- Conditions may include working outside in inclement weather, working around machines with moving parts and moving objects, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by company vehicle.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, telephone, and automobile.